Wednesday, September 21, 2016

Aviva Chomsky - How immigration became illegal

 This is the video clip is a liberal introduction to the issues surrounding immigration in our country.  Note that Chomsky links the 14th Amendment to the creation of the idea of illegal immigration.  Open immigration was the first US immigration policy, once immigration became regulated with legal and illegal avenues, previously eligible immigrants were denied entrance to the US.  Then, in phase two, the category of legal immigration morphed over time, excluding the Chinese (1882) while leaving the Mexican border open to immigration, to restricting undesirable southern and eastern European immigrants (1924) and then to regulating Mexican immigration specifically (1965). Given these shifting patterns, should undocumented immigration be viewed as criminal?  Is there an ethical standard that should be applied to immigration policy and the decisions we make as a country about who can enter and who can become eligible for citizenship?  Please leave your thoughts in a comment below.  Remember, be respectful.

9 comments:

  1. I think that she has some good points to back up her point of view, and i respect that. I think her point that at different times through history we have made racial stereotypes toward immigration. I was very close to some of my own opinions toward the 14th Amendment discussion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with her statement saying that we are a country of immigrants and that we are hiding as much as we are explaining. We also need to set up restrictions against people who are considered to be racial ineligible to citizenship such as the Chinese and parts of Aisa.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with her statement the the issue of immigration and those considered illegal immigrants is ever changing based on race.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with her statement about the issue of immagration, and her point on making a law to discriminate against Mexicans is interesting and I don't really agree with her.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with her that the meaning of the word immigrant has changed over time. What Americans once viewed as an immigrant is completely different from what we could view them as today.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with some of her points but not all. I do believe though that we do need some restrictions on the racial ineligible

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree with what she said about how immigration is being used to discriminate, but at the same time I think we definitely need laws and regulations on immigration.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think that the video was very interesting and that she had some very valid and informative points. I also agree that race and discrimination go along with views on immigration.

    ReplyDelete